Computer Science Graduate
I'm a driven and pragmatic software engineer dedicated to efficient and robust solutions with long-term use and benefits.
Work engages me when it directly helps others or when exploring new ideas. I'm always looking to understand solutions top-to-bottom so that I can take a goal-oriented approach to find ways to improve upon the value solutions already provide.
I enjoy working in small teams with little friction, where sharing ideas and helping each other out is easy.
Outside of work, my interests include gaming, music gigs & festivals, more programming and long walks/hikes. Sometimes I engage in writing and photography projects too, although I'm more shy about those.
|C / C++|
|Java / Kotlin|
|Shell / Bash|
- Backend & Frontend
AWS SDK (S3),
- Data Handling (Networking, Databases, ...)
- Environments & Tooling
OneTrust Backend Software Engineer Mar 2022 - Aug 2022
The Market-Defining Leader for Trust Intelligence.
As part of the acquisition, we integrated AppSecTests technology as a 'OneTrust cloud' SaaS. This required learning their ecosystem (Kafka, Azure, Spring, Angular) and delivering within 5 months.
- Sped up integration by helping identify the core value of AppSecTest's technology (archiving the rest).
- Proactively looked for different OneTrust offerings our product could integrate with and provide value to.
- Contributed a rough technical design for OneTrust's envisioned cloud service model.
- Provided immediate value to the service by developing system to translate results into a 'Google Play Data Safety' document, which users could use to submit their apps for Play Store approval.
AppSecTest Full-Stack Software Engineer Nov 2017 - Mar 2022
Analysing of third-party data collection behaviours.
One of two developers for 4-5 years in a 5-man startup. We created a product to disassemble & analyse Android apps (APKs) for security, legal and privacy compliance issues and successfully made an exit, selling the technology & team to OneTrust.
- One of the key decision makers driving the direction of the product, transparent communication was key to this.
- Worked on tight deadlines (and budgets). This experience really taught me the impact, cost and value of how I use my time, quick & assertive decision making was often paramount to success.
- As one of the co-developers of the core static analysis engine, it was my responsibility to translate the technical value of the technology into a digestible sales pitch for our business.
- Enabled cloud deployments by developing a network I/O layer to the solution, which was a key value to the its success.
- Responsible for showcasing the value of data the product could collect by developing & maintaining the frontend and backend server/services of our webapp sales demo.
- This was used to pitch our technology for our acquisition.
- I stepped up to own this responsibility after our team struggled to get resource for a full-stack developer.
- I started working for the company during my final student year and still achieved a First-Class Honours.
Intel Technical Marketing Engineer Jul 2016 - Aug 2017
A 14-month internship in the Internet of Things (IoT) team.
- Led a project researching & showcasing LoRa(WAN). This research went on to form my dissertation.
- Successfully handed over my role to the successor intern. Managed & trained them for 2 months and was able to teach them a lot in a short space of time. Really enjoyed sharing knowledge like this.
- Given sole responsibility for the IoT RFID demo in Intel's front-door booth at 2017 HPE Discover London
- Developed & maintained fullstack IoT demos & prototypes. Became an internal go-to contact for my team.
- Learnt & developed fullstack IoT solutions: MCUs & SoC's, data science, backend, frontend.
- Educated groups of school children, demonstrated prototypes to academic groups, plugged Intel's solution value-add to business leaders in both the London and Swindon Intel offices.
- Collaborated with teams outside of development (e.g. Marketing), provided better insight for solutions.
University of the West of England (UWE) BSc (Hons), Computer Science 2014 - 2018
A 4-year sandwich course (includes a year of internship). Achieved a First-Class Honours.
- Awarded the Dean Award for Academic Excellence in my first and final years.
- For achieving an overall average mark of 75%+ across all modules.
- Final year dissertation produced a LoRaWAN C library and extensible C++ framework to write drivers for seeedstudio Grove sensor devices in a couple of lines. This was demonstrated on a custom ARM board.
- Research on the LoRa technology went down to the PHY layer. Really enjoyed the research.
- Bundled as a wireless sensor MCU SDK, with intention to build a LoRaWAN IoT network across campus.
- Developed a RFC4330-compliant SNTP server & client when learning TCP/IP in a networking & OS course.
- Designed a single-wire communication protocol and implemented it on a BBC microbit MCU.
- Learning & developing a genetic (natural selection) algorithm to find data patterns.
Here are some projects I'm proud to have worked on, you can find more at: alex-collins.dev/portfolio.
I try do more in my personal time, which are presented at: gearsix.net.
- gearsix.net – Personal site where I share personal development projects and things I'm nerding out on.
- ASAnalyzer – A static analysis engine & fully-featured cloud/web service that allowed users to get information about data collected by third-party SDKs used within their Android app, down to function calls.
- IoT MCU SDK – An IoT SDK, providing a LoRaWAN C library for the RN2483 LoRa transceiver and an extendable C++ framework to allow for plug n' play with seeedstudio Grove sensor modules.
- Smart Shelf 2 – Fullstack IoT showcase demo at Intel, using infrared sensors to calculate in-store shelf stock. Later re-designed to demo the LoRa(WAN) LPWAN technology.
- I taught myself to program (using C) at 18-19 during a gap-year.
- Awarded a First-Class grade in Computer Science Honours degree, worked a software job during final year.
- During my teens I trained 3hrs/week for my hometown swim club and was one of the top-county swimmers in my age bracket until I left for university. Our team represented England multiple times in friendly EU competitions.
- Part of a team that came 2nd place in a local hackathon during 2017: https://bit.ly/2vZTy63.
- While at university I completed the UWE SU Leadership programme.
- I'm (slowly) learning Portuguese to communicate with my girlfriends family.